This is this.

My photo
Prairie girl with a west coast future.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Worditius

Y Hello Thar, Blog.

I have a terrible case of the ironies.

Ever since I started my job as a ~Communicator~, I've been suffering from a paralyzing case of writer's block.  Now that I'm actually being paid to put pen to paper, I'm living in constant fear of my words not being good enough.

I have to resist the urge to pick big, fancy million dollar words for everything.

For example, here is the sentence I will originally write:

 "The red dog chased the black cat around a tree"

And then my brain will be like NO THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. USE BETTER WORDS.

So then I'll freak out and change the sentence to:

"The vermilion canine engaged in a spirited jaunt with the ebony feline in circumferential motion around an arboreal specimen"

And then I'll be like Oh! And then I should make it 38 font and red to make it more ~jazzy~

And then I will be lost in a muddle of ridiculous fonts for the entire afternoon.

Let's just ignore the fact that I probably shouldn't be writing about animals at work.

I'm trying to re-remember everything I tried to forget about writing in a plain language context.  Apparently, under duress, my brain wants to overload on adjectives. 

So my goal for 2011 is to convince the hamster that resides in my brain to slow down for a few laps.  I'm a chronic over-thinker, and I need to learn to stop over-analyzing everything, including my communication skills.

And I'm hoping that my attempts to relax will re-set my internal thesaurus and that I will stop trying to substitute inappropriately florid words where they don't belong.

I will, instead, save the fancy verbage for where it belongs - facebook status updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment