This is this.

My photo
Prairie girl with a west coast future.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Flora

I thought that I would share the fruits of my yardening labor from this weekend.

We bought flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. We bought flowers to pretty up our deck, which has recently been through the most thorough power wash its ever had. Ever.

It's now a different color.

It used to be a hazy greenish mossy algae grey color. And now it is a pinkish taupe-y dull color.

It really is an improvement. I promise.

And here's a picture of Mortimer looking judgmental on aforementioned deck.



Yes, so the deck is squeaky clean now, so we felt obligated to dress it up a little.

So we wandered around Art Knapp Nursery and picked out various flowers with fancy names. I tried to look like I knew what I was talking about, but honestly I was just happy that I remembered the difference between annual and perennial.

Here's some pictures!

Enjoy our flora.











Now if I can remember to water these guys and keep them alive long enough to recoup the investment, I will be most pleased.

I don't have much of a green thumb. I kind of look at plants with a kind of puzzled trepidation and try and figure out how not to drown a poor wee seedling in the first hour of its life.

I like flowers. I like to be given flowers (RIGHT ADAM?!). I like the smell of flowers....but I'm just not sure about the upkeep of flowers.

But, I'm going to try and channel some kind of nurturing mother nature persona this summer and keep my balcony plants from singing a floral swan song.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Very very pretty indeed! I have a whole pile of those watering globe things, the ones that you fill and then jam into the dirt. I LOVE them, they do a really good job and kept my tomato alive last year with significantly less effort on my part. I still had to water my plants, mind you, but they didn't get all sad on me as quickly as they would have otherwise. Plus, they like being able to drink water that comes to them from deeper in the potting soil, 'cause it builds a stronger, deeper root system. You can also use wine bottles the same way, apparently.

    Those pink tinged pom-pommy ones are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete